CAT - Introduction
- Common Admission Test (CAT) is an all India Entrance test conducted by IIMs. The Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) started this exam and is a pre-requisite for selecting students for their business administration programs.
- This computer-based test is conducted by the Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) for admission to their 2-year full time postgraduate programs in management. Other Indian business schools like IITs, FMS, S P Jain, MDI, and SIMSREE also accept CAT scores as part of their selection process.
- CAT is a computer based test wherein subjects are subdivided into different areas i.e.: Quantitative Ability, Data Interpretation, Data Sufficiency, Logical Reasoning, Reading Comprehension, Verbal Reasoning and Verbal Ability.
- Until CAT 2013, the CAT was held over a window of a couple of weeks in October/November. In CAT 2014, when TCS started conducting the test, the structure of the test was changed, and the test window was reduced to two days. From 2015, CAT has become a one-day test and same pattern has been followed since then.
- The much awaited IIM CAT 2018 notification is out. CAT 2018 exam will be conducted on 25th November 2018.
- The candidate must hold a Bachelor’s Degree, with at least 50% marks or equivalent CGPA [45% in case of the candidates belonging to Scheduled Caste (SC), Scheduled Tribe (ST) and Persons With Disability (PwD) categories] awarded by any University or educational institution as incorporated by an Act of the Parliament or State legislature in India, or possess an equivalent qualification recognized by the Ministry of HRD, Government of India.
Candidates applying for CAT 2018 should fulfil any one of the following conditions:
- Completed Bachelor’s degree with the required percentage of marks*.
- Completed professional degree (CA/CS/ICWA) with required percentage*.
- Should be in the final year of Bachelor’s degree with required percentage*.
- SC/ST/PwD candidates should have minimum 45%. For General and NC-OBC candidates, minimum is 50%.
The exam pattern for CAT has been changed several times in the past years by the conducting IIMs. Since 2015, the CAT pattern, with respect to the total marks, duration and total questions, have remained the same. It is extremely important for the CAT aspirants to know the CAT paper pattern as it helps to devise personal test-taking strategies. Here, the latest CAT exam pattern 2018 is given which can help the CAT aspirants to get acquainted with the latest pattern and prepare accordingly.
|Total Questions in CAT Exam||100|
|Total Exam Duration||3 Hours|
|Mode of Paper||Online Only|
|Question Types||MCQs and Non MCQs (TITA)|
|Marking Scheme||+3 For Correct Answers|
|-1 For Incorrect Answers|
|0 For Unattempted Questions|
|Section Names||1. Quantitative Aptitude|
|2. Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension|
|3. Logical Reasoning & Data Interpretation|
|Section Name||Number of Questions||Duration|
|Quantitative Aptitude (QA)||34||60|
|Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension (VARC)||VA: 10||60|
|Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning (DILR)||DI: 16||60|
|Total||100||180 (3 hours)|
CAT 2018 Important Dates:
|CAT tutorial to be available||17-Oct-18|
|Download CAT Admit card||24-Oct-18|
|CAT 2018 Exam||25-Nov-18|
|Declaration of result||Second week of January, 2019|
CATwill be conducted in centres spread across around 147 test cities. Test cities will be mentioned in CAT website and the name of the test centre will be indicated in the Admit Card. IIMs reserve the right to change or cancel any test centre / city and / or change the test time and date at their own discretion.
All Capital cities and prominent cities in the state are test centers for the exam. Test Centres in Maharashtra and Gujarat are - Amravati, Ahmednagar, Aurangabad, Jalgaon, Kolhapur, Mumbai, Nagpur, Nanded, Nashik, Pune, Raigad, Satara, Solapur, Ulhasnagar, Ahmedabad, Anand¸Gandhinagar, Mehsana, Rajkot, Surat, Vadodara.
Prominent Colleges accepting CAT Score
|Sr. No.||Institute Name Fee (Rs. in lakhs)||Fee (Rs. in lakhs)||Average salary (Rs. in lakhs)|
|1||INDIAN INSTITUTE OF MANAGEMENT (IIM) AHMEDABAD||22||24.45|
|2||INDIAN INSTITUTE OF MANAGEMENT (IIM) CALCUTTA||21||24.2|
|3||INDIAN INSTITUTE OF MANAGEMENT (IIM) BANGALORE||21||22.76|
|4||INDIAN INSTITUTE OF MANAGEMENT, LUCKNOW||16||18.45|
|5||INDIAN INSTITUTE OF MANAGEMENT (IIM) INDORE||16||18.17|
|6||INDIAN INSTITUTE OF MANAGEMENT (IIM) KOZHIKODE||17||17.1|
|8||RAJIV GANDHI INDIAN INSTITUTE OF MANAGEMENT (IIM) SHILLONG||14||15.5|
|9||INDIAN INSTITUTE OF MANAGEMENT (IIM) TRICHY||13||14.28|
|12||INDIAN INSTITUTE OF MANAGEMENT (IIM) KASHIPUR||12.5||12.19|
|21||FACULTY OF MANAGEMENT STUDIES (FMS) NEW DELHI||0.25||21.1|
|22||SYDENHAM INSTITUTE OF MANAGEMENT STUDIES AND RESEARCH AND ENTREPRENEURSHIP EDUCATION (SIMSREE) MUMBAI||1.36||10.92|
|23||JAMNALAL BAJAJ INSTITUTE OF MANAGEMENT STUDIES (JBIMS) MUMBAI||2||18.91|
|24||VINOD GUPTA SCHOOL OF MANAGEMENT (VGSoM) IIT KHARAGPUR||6||16.29|
|25||DEPARTMENT OF MANAGEMENT STUDIES (IIT DELHI) NEW DELHI||8||16.54|
|26||NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF INDUSTRIAL ENGINEERING (NITIE) MUMBAI||8.5||17.09|
|27||INSTITUTE OF RURAL MANAGEMENT ANAND (IRMA)||12.1||11.39|
|28||T A PAI MANAGEMENT INSTITUTE (TAPMI) MANIPAL||13||12|
|29||GOA INSTITUTE OF MANAGEMENT (GIM) GOA||15.98||10.58|
|30||S. P. JAIN INSTITUTE OF MANAGEMENT & RESEARCH (SPJIMR) MUMBAI||16||22.24|
|31||SHAILESH J MEHTA SCHOOL OF MANAGEMENT (IIT BOMBAY) MUMBAI||16||19.06|
|32||INTERNATIONAL MANAGEMENT INSTITUTE (IMI) NEW DELHI||16.95||12.23|
|33||XAVIER INSTITUTE OF MANAGEMENT (XIM) BHUBANESWAR||17.3||12.91|
|34||INSTITUTE OF MANAGEMENT TECHNOLOGY (IMT) GHAZIABAD||17.5||11.6|
|35||MANAGEMENT DEVELOPMENT INSTITUTE (MDI) GURGAON||21.34||19.17|
Course Offered by IIMs through CAT Exam:
|PGPEM (Post Graduate Programme in Enterprise Management)||PGP-ABM (Post Graduate Programme in Agri-Business Management)|
|PGP-Mumbai (Post Graduate Programme at Mumbai)||PGPSM (Post Graduate Programme in Securities Markets)|
|PGPBM (Post Graduate Programme in Business Management)||EPGPM (Executive Post Graduate Programme)|
|PGP (Post Graduate Programme)||PGPEX (Post Graduate Programme for Executives)|
|PGPWE (Post Graduate Programme for Working Executive)||PGPPM (Post Graduate Programme in Public Policy and Management)|
|PGDHRM (Post Graduate Diploma in Human Resource Management)||PGDM (Post Graduate Diploma in Management)|
|PGP-UAE (Post Graduate Programme At UAE)||-|
Quantitative Aptitude (QA)
- Number System
- Profit and loss
- Ratio, Proportion and variation
- Time and work
- Time speed and distance
- Quadratic and other Equations
- Permutation and combination
- Set theory
Logical reasoning / Data Interpretation
- Bar Graph
- Line chart
- Column graph
- Venn diagram
- Pie chart
- Other basic reasoning questions
- Number and letter series
- Venn diagram
- Seating Arrangement
- Binary logic
- Logical Matching
- Logical Sequence
- Logical Connectivity
- Blood Relations
- English usage or Grammar
- Vocabulary Based (Synonyms/ Antonyms)
- Fill in the blanks
- Sentence Correction
- Cloze Passage
- Jumbled Paragraph
- Meaning-Usage Match
- Analogies or reverse analogies
- Summary questions
- Verbal reasoning
- Reading Comprehension